Thursday 9 August 2012

ITS POSSIBLE

This morning, as i was perusing the recent updates of my bbm contacts, i came across a pm that inspired today's post .

        "Difficult does not mean impossible"

Everyday, we are faced with tasks and challenges, some easily surmountable, some daunting, some seemingly impossible, but as I am coming to realise, nothing is really impossible.


 A couple of years ago, I did a course which was arguably one of the most difficult courses I have ever come across, it made me realise why some of these professors, especially in the fields that have to do with mathematics and calculations, come off as having gone a little off the rails.


What was this course? Deductive Logic.
I do realise that it may not be so difficult to others, but for someone whose knowledge of math is restricted to simple additions and subtractions (seriously, if you start to ask me anything like -2 +4, you are so on your own), with hardly any science background; it wasn't easy business.
The start off point was to learn "the rules of inference", they were 9, if i remember correctly; there was modus ponens, modus tollens, simplification, constructive dilemma, disjunctive syllogism .........
I remember the ones with the two names were the most difficult, for instance, the rule of Constructive Dilemma (C.D)
(p > q) . (r > s)
p v r
:.q v s
 What in heaven's name is this? What has English language got to do with whatever this was? Anyway, I remember all my classmates were as lost as i was, where did we start from? Then I said to myself, "madam, if you know what's good for you, when you get home start learning this thing, since no one knows it, who will teach you in the exam hall?"

And that's how I started, I began to study the rules backwards and forward, inside out, as a matter of fact, I was always walking around with a piece of paper and a pen, to test my self to see if I really knew it. Walking along the road, I would be reciting and drawing symbols in the air like a crazy person!  And eventually. I knew it. Hallelujah!

Just as I thought the war was won, the rules of replacement was introduced. Alas, that was merely the battle. This was far harder, more complicated. These 10 rules were ridiculousness reduced to symbols. They were De Morgan's Theorems, Material Equivalence, Material Implication, Distribution ............. This time it didn't matter if it was one or two names, they were all difficult
For instance, the rule of Distribution (Dist.)
[p .(q v r)]= [(p . q) v (p . r)]
[p v (q . r)] = [(p v q) . (p v r)]
(Please note, some of the symbols are wrong, because i couldn't find them on the keyboard. lol, so I used the closest equivalents)
I beseech someone to explain this to me.......... this is crazy, am I trying to find the molecular density of mars?!
But once again, I returned home, determined to lay these rules flat on their backs. So the cycle of craziness continued.......
To cut the long story short, I mastered the 19 rules, so much so that I began to teach my classmates. I was unstoppable, I had  40 in the test, and the total scores attainable was 40! Of course I had an A in the course. And now, till the world ends Deductive Logic would always be my *****



 The point I'm trying to make, if you haven't gotten it by now, is that nothing is impossible. Just 'cos its difficult doesn't mean it can't be done.



Centuries ago, I'm sure man had never thought it possible to go to the moon, but now Galactic Suites is scheduled for opening this year. In space. And that's how the moon in a short time will become a tourist site (although I'm not gonna go oo, that's how those horror movies start).


We look at the sky now, and think its impossible to touch the heavens, but do you remember the story of how men purposed in their hearts to build a tower that would reach the heavens and God saw that they could do it. He had to put a stop to it because it could be done. I'm sure it would have been a difficult task, but it wasn't impossible. He knew what he had created. As Jean de la Fontaine said "man is so made that if anything fires his soul, impossibilities vanish"


Do you know that about a hundred years ago, scientists stated that man could not run at a certain speed? Do you know that Jim Hines broke the 10.0 barrier with a 9.95 in 1968 and even then he held the record for 15 years before it was broken by Calvin Smith?
     Charles R. Swindoll said  'Alleged impossibilities are opportunities for our capacities to be stretched"
  Now this speed demon called Usain Bolt is closer to breaching the 9.50 barrier any moment. At these kinds of speeds I forsee a future when man begins to disappear and appear wherever he chooses.


I saw the preview of a movie recently, based on a true life story about a man of 90 years who had enrolled in school so that he could read a letter which the president had sent to him. WOW, talk about difficult!

 God bless whoever changed the word impossible to I'm possible.

Who said its impossible to graduate with a first class? Who said it was impossible to win a Grammy because you are a Nigerian? Femi Kuti has been nominated. Twice. Might asa well prove its possible and win.

Anytime I say something is impossible, chances are I'm just too lazy to get up and get it done. Bishop Robert South put it perfectly when he said "It is Idleness that creates impossibilities, and where people don't care to do anything, they shelter themselves under a permission that it cannot be done"

I will leave you with 10 quotes to ponder upon today and whenever the word impossible comes to mind

With God, nothing shall be impossible - The Bible

It always seems impossible until is done - Nelson Mandela

There is nothing impossible to him who will try - Alexander The Great

The word impossible is not in my dictionary - Napoleon Bonaparte

“You think embracing the longing while waiting for the right man is impossible? Well obviously you didn't get the memo.”
― Osayi Osar-Emokpae, Impossible Is Stupid  (this one appeals to this Quirkyalone)

Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities. - Aristotle

Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn't be done - Amelia Earhart

All who have achieved great things, have had a great aim, have fixed their gaze on a goal which was high, one which sometimes have seemed impossible - Orison S. Marden

Impossible is not a scientific term - Vanna Bonta


And finally. ....... . . . . . . .  .
Throw back the shoulders, let the heart sing, let the eyes flash, let the mind be lifted up, look upward and say to yourself  . . nothing is impossible! - Norman Vincent Peale


5 comments:

  1. Powerful and inspiring!!! You have gingered me this morning...off I go to the library!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwww, so so inspiring and motivating!!! Go girllll, u ve made my day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said gurl... at least i can attest to the Logic story... lol. May God keep the ispiration flowing

    ReplyDelete