Sunday 15 July 2012

RUBY "MUSIC IS ALL I EVER WANTED TO DO"

Ngohide Rubyann Gyangyan, stage name Ruby is a graduate of Economics from the University of Jos. she is one of the newest members of the LOOPY music family, the group of young and talented artists from Jos taking over the Nigerian music industry






DB - How did you get into music?
RUBY - I come from a family that loves music so much, with my mother being a singer and writer, my uncles being recording/performing gospel artists and my father an avid soul and high-life fanatic, it was impossible not to love music and make it a part of me. I remember performing in church at age 6, singing, dancing and acting. I always wanted to be a singer, a performer and an entertainer.

DB - How did you meet MI and how did you get signed to Loopy music?
RUBY - I met JesseJagz about ten years ago and he introduced me to M.I who formed the Loopy Crew. I started recording with M.I in 2005 and being a part of the Loopy Crew secured a spot for me in Loopy Music, the label recently launched.


DB - How difficult or easy has it been working with the likes of MI and Jesse Jagz?
RUBY - Working with M.I and Jesse Jagz has been a blessing. They are talented professionals who know how to ease you into the recording process and versatility is a very strong quality they both possess; this makes it easy for them to work a wide range of talents.


DB - Your style of music is different from the usual in Nigeria. What and who are your musical influences?
RUBY - I consider my type of music to fall under the AfroSoul genre. It is true that this is different from your typical Nigerian music, but it also creates an advantage for me because this genre has not been tapped into as much as others and that positions me as a pioneer. I am influenced musically by Miriam Makeba, Bob Marley, Aretha Franklin, Onyeka Owenu, Marvin Gaye, Whitney Houston, Lauryn Hill, Jill Scott, Alicia Keys, and John Legend.

DB - The Nigerian music scene has very few successful female singers. What challenges have you faced that are peculiar to females?
RUBY - I've been blessed to work with people who truly believe in me and constantly push me to be better and help me do the kind of music I do. However, it is relatively more difficult for a woman in this industry to thrive when she is not showing off skin or doing something outrageous to remain in the spotlight. The Nigerian music industry is highly competitive and I applaud all my female colleagues who have managed to stay relevant and consistent.


DB - What inspired the song OKAY and what has been the response to the song?
RUBY - My aim as an artist is to make music that is good, timeless but most of all sincere.
I drew on past relationship experiences, personal lives of close friends and relatives and recreated that in the single OKAY. Many people have written, called and sent me messages saying that they could relate to the song and some have even said it helped them get through a bad break up.

DB- When is a new single to be released? And are there plans for an album soon?
RUBY - New single will be out in August 2012. Hopefully my debut album will be released sometime in 2013; I spend a lot of time in the studio.


DB - Who would you like to collaborate with in Nigeria and internationally?
RUBY - I would love to collaborate with Femi Kuti, Asa, Nneka, Tuface , Liquid Deep, Lira, and Mi Casa.

DB - If you weren't into music what other career choice would you have made?
RUBY - Music is all I've ever wanted to do

DB - What is the one thing you treasure most?
RUBY - My Faith

DB - What inspires you as a person?
RUBY - God. Experiences. Relationships, MUSIC


DB - If you could steal three things from any person(s), one material thing, one personality trait and one material thing. what would they be?
RUBY - A penthouse apartment or a private island, Patience and Celion Dion's voice box

No comments:

Post a Comment