Sunday 21 April 2013

MUSIC REVIEW


SIFER
HEY BABE


I received the link to listen to this song a week or two ago, but i wasn't too interested. As far as I knew it would just be another badly produced song with no quality whatsoever, in terms of lyrics especially.


Fortunately for me though, at some point yesterday I clicked on the link without even intending to, about a minute later I heard this sound and I traced it to my phone. Alas, it was the link I had received a while back ....... I was pleasantly surprised.


For some of us who love music, we've been a little bit discontent with the quality of rap music in Nigeria, I mean MI is indeed incredible, Ice Prince is aight, and hey do we even need to bother with the genius that is Jesse Jagz? but asides these guys and one or two more there's really been no fresh face in the rap "game" for a while.


Well, that was then. It is with a big smile and loads of excitement that I introduce you to the next big thing in Nigerian music, (if his single Hey Babe is anything to go by) Sifer. For a young dude without a record label and all the perks that come with it, Hey Babe is a bit of a surprise, the quality of the production is really really good.


Usually with rap songs, at first listen, its one of two things, you either get stuck on the beat if its really good (like Jayz's Forever Young, it took me ages and ages to get to the words cos the beat was so good) or you only listen to the words cos the vocal strenght of the rapper plus his choice of words and rhymes hit you head on. Hey Babe however is one of those rap songs that at first listen (at least for me) you find yourself both enjoying the beat /instrument coordination at the background and at the same time you follow the lyrics.


You can't help but wanna listen to this song over and over, I know its been on replay since yesterday, I can't say I've listened to any other song since my first taste of the song.
The laid back flow, well arranged lyrics, ease of transition from one point in the song to another plus the rapper's voice and the beat are just too awesome to be ignored. It's quite possible that another rapper would have been able to blend with the beat/instrumental, might have been too harsh or too soft but Sifer's tone was just right!


Borrowing a line from the song itself, this song has "gotta blow up, dropping land mines".
I'm reminded of MI in his first days with Crowd Mentality and some of his earlier songs, not to say this is anywhere similar to that, (Sifer is giving a "holla" at his "queen B" cos he's a "young Hov") just a reminder of how he started off.


I'm rating this one a sexy 8.


To listen to the song and download click on the link http://hu.lk/5ar00owukclc or download it here https://m.box.com/view_shared/upjxl093tc9v011nwtrn . Don't say I didn't warn you, you'll definitely find yourself leaving it on repeat.....


Leave a comment, let me know what you think about the song, and what you would rate it. I'm sure the artist would appreciate the feedback

6 comments:

  1. Debourgeios, nice write up. After taking time to listen to that track, I feel you over-rated it. Nice effort by Sifer though but he's nowhere close to those aforementioned rap artists. Also notice you omitted Black Magic on your list of rap stars. Guess you have a soft spot for the Choc Boys. #just an observation though. Good job by Sifer, nice article by Debourgeois. - Bashorun Teelaw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anoymous, I don't think you listened to that song properly or you know anything about rap tbh, listen to his lyrical content nd punchlines very solid for someone with know label, Good Job sifer, I have been following your rap for a while and I think you are better than ice prince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I feel we look out for different things in a music. I don't think having a label or not has anything to do with how much of a genius an artiste can be or the power in his lyrics. Like I said in my comment, Nice effort by Sifer. But that he's better than Ice Prince???? I strongly disagree.

      Delete
  3. D song been on my replay list for days nw...played it @ d airport on thurs b4 leavin nd am still listenin to it... Nice combo (instrument,beats,lyrics) nd great effort. Boss d@s a kool 1 nd I knw d verse 1 already...its just lik Justin's Mirror. Easy to comprehend unlik other rapstars d@ stutter on d same word..."I cnt wait for it nd I ain't slowin dwn"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeerrm!!No doubt this song is freaking fabulous..Sifer is undoubtedly the new thing in d 9ja Music industry now..Download the song and i can assure you of addiction--Swaggertols

    ReplyDelete
  5. M not really into nigerian rap buh I got this link weeks back nd I listened to the song...nd den I listened to The song...nd den its d first track on my playlist!!. I absolutely fell for the beat,loved the lyrics and d whole thing seemed effortless. I would really like to hear more from sifer cos" niggas like him don't come around too often".nd since this song got me "walking on the moon " i'm rating it a sexy 9...ms grey

    ReplyDelete